Thread: PC Specs?

Senior Member Sergeant

PC Specs?

Trying to build a new computer that can get newer games such as BF3 and MW3 at a very high FPS on max settings.

Can anyone send me links to good specs I can purchase?

I prefer Intel and NVIDIA.

My budget is $1000 and less.

Senior Member PRESTIGE LEVEL 5
    I can build you one for probably under $800 or so. Let me know how many GB of ram and what cores for your CPU (#'s) and I can put a rough draft together for you. And...do you live in USA? I'll be using new egg.

Senior Member Master Sergeant
    I know evryone always says to wait, but seriously... if you want intel, just wait a little bit longer. Soon the new quads and hexes will come out that are "low" cost and 40% faster than the ones out now (faster than AMD Hex cores by far) and by waiting, you can upgrade to the next video card too since those prices always plummet in months

Senior Member Sergeant
    Sounds good! I'll just wait to make a little bit more money, and yes I do live in the US. I do prefer NewEgg.

Member Private
    Heres your bang for your buck-(This is the pc I built)

Asrock MoBo- 100-200 Dollars (used to new)
    (Won the award for best gaming cock tests at toms hardware dot com in year 2010)

has 4 ddr3 ram slots 100 dollars for 16 gigs of ram new on ebay
    (16 gigs of ram in mine currently)

Get a 32amp 1200 watt gamming power supply off ebay.(75-100 dollars new)

1 tb hard drive. (50 bucks)

6 core amd black edition 3.2 ghz per core processor (100-200 dollars Used to new)

You need a good fan Amd 6 cores get hot I would say a 100 dollar fan minimum or liquid coolant for 200plus with liquid you can overclock to 3.7 ghz per core.

Nivdia 560 graphics 100-200 dollars depending on which kind you get.

Terabyte network card for online gaming 30 bucks.

You will have an extra 2 ports for sound card and whatever else you want and also an extra graphics port for ati crossfire(if you got ati instead of nivdia) and sli I believe for nivdia.

I had a FX 8 core system and honestly could not tell a difference between 8 core and 4 core. Where I could tell the difference was with RAM and GPU. seriously I would look at the GPU and RAM to spend the money and stick with a 4 core. My opinion.

I don't think there are any applications taking advantage of 6 or 8 cores.

Note that Intel does not have a true 6 or 8 core by definition. AMD has a semi true 6 and 8 core- but like intel are not true multi cores.

Senior Member Sergeant Major
    Check specs below, all from newegg...

Member Private
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    Note that Intel does not have a true 6 or 8 core by definition. AMD has a semi true 6 and 8 core- but like intel are not true multi cores.
    I use the amd 6 core asides from needing a great heat sink/fan it runs great.

If you wanna see the diffrence in procesor speed of a 4 core 1.9 ghz and a 6 core 3.2 ghz, you need to run somthing in hardware based rendering. I use cinema 4d and it uses the processor to render 3d animations and when you make a 60,000-120,000 frame animation, with dynamic lighting the diffrence is in the render times. The 6 core will render 60,000 frames in like 2 hours the quad core will take 5-6 hours to do same work load.

This is a 2500 frame skit I created using some trial software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNk1wAzPzU&feature=plcp

The only difference is calculations per second, per millisecond, etc. as for gaming a good quad is perfect. It's the good ram and and gpu that's needed. The better latency your RAM is, the better the game will run and so will your GPU. With my setup in my profile, I have never lagged in BF3 and I rip through BC2, CA, and AVA with ease.

Junior Member Just Started
    Quote Originally Posted by DeboHax
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid
    I use the amd 6 core asides from needing a great heat sink/fan it runs great.

If you wanna see the diffrence in procesor speed of a 4 core 1.9 ghz and a 6 core 3.2 ghz, you need to run somthing in hardware based rendering. I use cinema 4d and it uses the processor to render 3d animations and when you make a 60,000-120,000 frame animation, with dynamic lighting the diffrence is in the render times. The 6 core will render 60,000 frames in like 2 hours the quad core will take 5-6 hours to do same work load.

This is a 2500 frame skit I created using some trial software.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TNk1wAzPzU&feature=plcp
    And if he was rendering, that would mean something, but all he mentioned was games. Single core performance still dominates almost all applications, obviously not including the ones that can actually use more than 4 cores (seriously doubt he will be using them).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6934/c...gpu-at-1440p/5 shows the benefit of having more cores (or just faster ones) for gaming when you have multiple GPU's (for the limited number of games), but for the most part, a budget 4 core that you can overclock if you need to is the best bang for the buck.

Edit: I re-read your post, and for some stupid reason thought you were replying to OP and recommending a monster CPU for gaming. My bad.

Thread Information